Saturday, January 8, 2011

The humble Jack Fruit

Jack Fruit or “Chakka” as we lovingly call in our home town in Kerala has always been my favourite. I remember staring wondrously at those big thorny fruits hugging the sturdy stem of the tree and many hanging precariously from the branches. The rope like stalks held them tightly, lest they would fall from the tree. My grandfather would inspect it every morning and call out to my granny, “moothathedukkatte??” (Shall I pluck the ripe ones?”) My granny would shout back” lets wait till appu , naanu and shanty (my dad, uncle and aunt)come”. They will be here by Vishu”. Vishu always coincided with my birthday on April 14th. Vishu is the ist day of the Malayalam month “Medam” signaling the advent of malayalam new year.We were woken up at 4 am, elders closing our eyes and leading us to the Pooja room to see the “Vishu kani” where amidst the offerings of traditional vegetables and fruits, Lord Krishna’, our presiding deity stood, beautifully decorated . And always occupying the pride of place was the humble jack fruit, its heady fragrance making our mouths water.
My brother, sister , cousins and I would wait till around lunch time when my grandfather would take out the huge jack fruit from the kani and take it to the back yard to be cut. My granny would be ready, handing us a bottle of oil to be rubbed in the hands so that the sap and the juice do not stick to our hands. The overwhelming fragrance of the ripe fruit deliciously assaulting our senses, we would eagerly wait for our turn when our grandfather would give each of us a huge slice, each containing at least 10 to 12 delicious “Chulas”.

And during our fortnightly stay with our grandparents, my grandmother would make various delicacies of jack fruit - jackfruit curry, jackfruit pradhaman, elayada and the most delicious “Chakkavarattiyathu”. This is a jam made out of Jack fruit, Gud and pure desi ghee which remains unspoilt for even A YEAR. This we all carried back to Mumbai as a treat. I know for a fact that I can never get enough of “Chakka”. Jack Fruit in all its forms is just irresistible.

Today, Our grand Parents are no more. My brother, sister and I are all married and settled in Mumbai. We try to make it to Kerala at least once a year, where our Parents have shifted. The family house remains the same with jackfruits, mangoes, coconuts and plantains growing in abundance. My mother has silently taken the role of our granny and she indulges our kids in all the Jackfruit delicacies. My son has inherited my love for “Chakka” , but my daughter finds the smell “too strong” and runs away.
My love for “Chakka” has only grown over the years, especially during summer when I long to have a few “chulas”. Jack fruit is available at times in Mumbai, especially in predominantly south Indian suburbs, but the joy of selecting just the ripe fruit from the tree, and slicing it the right way and relishing it sitting in the back yard of one’s house………………hm…nothing matches that.!!

1 comment:

  1. you know my mouth watered as i read this one...wonderful and above all thank you very much for the wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete